Tuesday, June 3, 2008

gravity

up
goes
which
that


must
then
come
down -

thus states the law of gravity.
i've run afoul of this law;
my lot - pending calamity.

in all these golden days, i know
i've smiled too brightly, loved too strong.
the dread gendarmes are at my back
my destiny will not be long.

that fickle Lady, ever false,
flirtatious - turns her back on me.
with no recourse, i raise my hands
i stand condemned. i have no plea.

they capture me, shackles in hand,
fainting, my feeble frame is bound.
on bended knee, my strength has flown
i taste the dust of callous ground.

looking at an indifferent sky
i yearn for some auspicious sign
to give me heart, make bold my step,
to free me from this cruel design.

but the bleak sky cedes no such hope
my eyes fall to the rough gravel -
and there rest on a tiny bird
taking a rest from his travel.

his eyes meet mine, he cocks his head
as if trying to speak to me;
he seems to wonder "why do you
lay as if dead? why don't you flee?"

he flies away, and i, ashamed,
realize that this creature is right -
why blindly welcome such a fate
without first putting up a fight?

i
slip
my
chains

and
like
the
bird


flight.

take

9.27.2007

No comments: